Adapted from the New Mexico Chile Institutes’
“Chile Pepper Facts”
- One fresh medium-sized green chile pod has as much Vitamin C as six oranges.
- One teaspoon of dried red chile powder has the daily requirements of Vitamin A.
- Hot chile peppers burn calories by triggering a thermodynamic burn in the body, which speeds up the metabolism.
- Teas & lozenges are made with chile peppers for the treatment of a sore throat.
- Capsaicinoids, the chemical that make chile peppers hot, are used in muscle patches for sore and aching muscles.
- Chile peppers are relatives of tomatoes, potatoes, and eggplants, all belonging to the nightshade family.
- The color extracted from very red chile pepper pods, oleoresin, is used in everything from lipstick to processed meats.
- There are 26 known species of chile pepper, five of which are domesticated.
For more information about red and green Chile and more recipes please visit our Facebook Page
Red Chile Posole
- 3 to 4 c. pork roast
- 4c. red chile sauce
- 1 large can hominy
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
Cut fat from meat then cut into small pieces. Cook meat in small amount of water until done. Mix 1c. water and 2 tsp. flour together in small amount of water until done. Mix 1 c. water and 2 tsp. flour together. Add meat with chile sauce, cumin and garlic. Simmer for 1 hr. Add hominy. Simmer until meat is tender.
Green Enchilada by Misty Weathers-2nd place (year unknown, but I remember Misty was just a teenager at the time)
- 2 cans creamy chicken mushroom soup
- 1 can water
- 2 dozen corn tortillas
- 1 lb. grated cheese
- chopped onion
- garlic powder to taste
- chopped Hatch Valley Green Chile
Mix soup, water, garlic and chile. Cook soup for a few minutes. Heat tortillas. Roll small amounts of cheese and onions in tortillas and place in pan. Pour soup mixture over tortillas and bake for 30-40 minutes. Serve.
Chile Cheese Ball
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 med. can crushed pineapple with juice
- 2 Tbsp. chopped green onions
- 1 Tbsp. chopped green onions
- 1 Tbsp. chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 c. chopped green chile
- 1 c. chopped pecans
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
Place cream cheese in bowl, add remaining ingredients, use only 1/2 cup pecans, and mix well. Leave in refrigerator overnight. Before serving, form into ball and roll in leftover pecans. Serve with crackers.